Rockingham County| Searching Records

Rockingham County, NH

Cathy Ann Stacey, Register
Becky Burns, Deputy Register

Mailing Address                                    Physical Address

                    P.O. Box 896                                  (UPS, FED EX & Directions)
                                                                                               Kingston, NH 03848                                          10 Route 125                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                        Brentwood, NH 03833                                        

Tel. (603)642-5526| Fax (603)642-5930
Office hours – Monday through Friday8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Recording Line Closes at 3:30 pm

Rockingham Registry Home

Searching Rockingham County Records

The Registry records are indexed by the name of the individual(s) to a transaction. Whether you are searching for a deed or a lien, you must have a name to begin the search. This applies to locating deeds, mortgages, etc. as well as surveys of properties. An approximate date of the transaction would be useful in hastening the search, but not absolutely necessary. If only the property location is known, you need to contact the town or city office where the property is located to determine who is the owner.

Rockingham County adheres to the principle that if you are getting something, you are a listed as a grantee and if you are giving something, you are listed a grantor.

If you are looking for a deed and know the party purchasing the property, you would search the grantee index in the time period the transaction took place. If you know the party that sold the property, you would search the grantor index in the time period the transaction took place.

If you are searching for liens against the property owner, you would search the grantor index, as a lien is a right to retain property for payment of some debt, obligation or duty whether giving voluntarily such as a mortgage or involuntarily, such as an attachment. Likewise, if searching for a release or discharge prior to 1972, you would search the grantee index.

If you are looking for a plan on a piece of property, there are two systems in place. You can search the grantor index or one of the plan index files, by owner’s name or property street.

The term &al (or etal) will be found in the index after the given name and represents “and other” to the transaction. For example, in a transaction from John & Mary Smith, the index would show Smith as the surname and John &al as the given name, the &al representing Mary as the other party to the transaction. Likewise, Mary’s indexing would appear as Smith in the surname field and Mary &al as the given name.

Once the name has been located in the index, a book and page will be listed. You may now pull the book to read the document.

WE WILL explain how the records are indexed, but WE WILL NOT search the records for you, interpret documents or give you legal advice as to how to prepare documents.